Monday, April 14, 2008

30 shots down...

When I turned 30 years of age I decided that I would buy myself a significant piece of jewelry. I was working full-time, completed my studies and made it to another decade and I wanted a reward. During a lunch hour one day I discovered a jewelry store with a going out of business sale. I picked out a cluster diamond ring that was all the rage then for ½ price. I wore that ring for a long while and eventually it was abandoned and put in the jewelry box. I enjoyed the ring and I still take it out from time to time and wear it. It is in dire need of repairs and I should have it fixed.

Turning 30 was the stepping stone into a decade of a total life-style change.

Well, I made it to my 30th injection. New side effects are extremely dry mouth, occasional wavy vision in the morning. The vision thing has happened several times to me in the last while and I think it’s from the bright sun so I have taken to wearing my sun glasses in my kitchen in the morning...

Well, that theory of wearing the sun glasses to ward off the morning sunrise didn’t work today. I have to totally avoid it as it sets my vision off into a blurry wavy mess. The bright lights in the bathroom in the morning set it off the first time. It passes within approximately 15-20 minutes. I think it’s a migraine percolating without the excruciating headache just a head buzz until I take a Tylenol (my new best friend.)

Following the 30th shot I did get a little lax taking Tylenol and ended up running temperatures both Saturday and Sunday evening. It was a new side for me.

Adding up finances for income tax…yippee!

Medical receipts for treatment since the end of September 2007 to December 31, 2007 have cost $ 920.00 with help from my drug plan. If I didn’t have a drug plan it would have cost $ 9200.00.


I usually never make the right choice when given decisions, but I am very thankful that a couple of years ago when I was given the option for the drug plan to pay 80% or 90% of our family drugs that I checked off 90%. I finally lucked out. It will pay off over the next year while I go for the 72 week tour of duty.

I have been taking days off work and I am feeling better on those days. I have a few more things to finish up there and I’ll have to pack it in and try to make the sides a bit more manageable. The chemo brain fog is brutal and I am unable to multi-task. I'm feeling useless there as so many things had changed and happened while I was away on a three month secondment. Furthermore, they changed my computer and I am wasting so much time searching for my old files I am of no use to them anymore while I am on chemo.

7 comments:

My Other Blog said...

Did you have your eyes checked by an opthamologist before you started treatment? If you didn't (or even if you did), you need to go back and mention the vision problems.
All the best,
MYS/uc

Me said...

I'm sorry work is so frustrating for you right now.

PATSY said...

Rose - thinking about you. Hope you can relax away from work soon. Get the eyes checked out!
Wishes for a great spring/summer.
Patsy

Changedit said...

Rose, I used to get these migraine-like flashes before starting tx. Funnily though, they have stopped at the moment. But my vision still gets blurred very quickly and although I just had new glasses, I see a lot less than before tx.

Good luck with the rest of the journey.

Love Fishy xx

Starbux said...

i am 6 months into tx and had my eyes tested the other day as i can hardly see even with my glasses. seems my eyes have deteriorated both for close up and distance vision - both types by 2 points in 6 months!. luckily as all tx in uk is free the new glasses will be my only costs to date.

love star

someone said...

Concerning the ring... get a toothbrush and just stick the bristles in the top of some washing up liquid and gently brush the ring, be careful to block the plug hole or do it over a small bowl in case the stones are loose.... rinse under some warm water and allow to dry... make sure you get in all the nooks and crannys of the ring.... it will look like new and might take your mind off tx fro a moment or two...... xx

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de Plasma, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-de-plasma.blogspot.com. A hug.