Monday, September 8, 2008

Injection 52

Sunday, September 7, 2008, I injected my 52nd shot of interferon. My 52nd year was a huge challenge. I thought 2004 was the year from hell, but 2007 really kicked the shit out of 2004. I had my blood drawn on December 4, 2006 for a life insurance policy after years of refusing to buy one. My husband bought them for 30 years of marriage and every once in a while the insurance broker and husband would try to talk me into getting a policy. I fought it until we bought our new home and the bank wouldn’t insure our loan because we were “of an age”. I was brow beaten into applying for it. Now, I realize it may prolong my life.

My doc called me on December 18th at work to tell me that the insurance company contacted him that I tested positive for Hep C. I was gob smacked. He wanted to check all my hospital records to see if I had a blood transfusion. I was reeling from this diagnosis. I immediately went to get the anti-body test done again along with the confirming test to determine if I actually had the virus in my blood. It took from December 18, 2006 to January 27, 2007, to get the results back from my second confirming test. I was livid that I was left so long waiting for the results. It was pure agony waiting to see if I were one of the damned, but I was disbelieving that it couldn’t even be possible. I was did not live what the doc called a “high risk” lifestyle. Doc checked my records at the hospital and, of course, I had no record of blood transfusions from all my surgeries I had over the years. I had many surgeries and medical procedures done over the years.

“Did you ever inject drugs, Rose? You know that you only had to do it once.” I was sitting in his office in total shock not even really understanding what he was implying. It was my first smack with the “stigma” attached to hep C. I lived in Smallville all my life. I did not use drugs. I didn’t know anyone that used intravenous drugs! It was just not my lifestyle and I do not judge those who do have that lifestyle. I have my own skeletons in my closet and I’m far from perfect, however, my lifestyle did not involve injecting intravenous drugs.

I don’t think I’ll ever recover from the instant feeling of being a pariah from society. I was given the immediate flick by the insurance company. Insurance provider was confused to why they wouldn’t give me the insurance because he has known me since I was a child and I was a healthy person. I was the picture of health for a 52 year old. I was long distance running and I was in excellent shape. I was on top of my game.

I was also pestered by the bone marrow donation registry wondering why I wanted to remove my name from their list. “We like to know the reasons for people taking their names off the list…it is private and no one will have access to the info” I was still shell shocked with the diagnosis and I reluctantly told her I was diagnosed with Hep C and she shut down on me as if I told her to “go to hell”. She was curt and abrupt and indicated that it was one of the reasons for not being an acceptable candidate for being a bone marrow donor (DUH! Like I didn’t realize that????)…thank you very much…and I received a “PFO” (Please F*ck Off) letter from the bone marrow registry, too. I just notified the bone marrow registry out of courtesy because I happened to get an “update your info” letter from them at the time. Now, I know that I should have not bothered as the odds wouldn’t be very good for me to match with anyone. I would have dealt with that dilemma if it had of happened and the odds just weren’t there. Hep C took that option away from me, too. I cannot donate bone marrow to anyone.

I was jerked around by the department of health and I was led to believe that I had to call them because they were looking for me and I had to be registered with them. I found out later that I didn’t even have to call them and talk to them. I wouldn’t have if I had of known that then as I thought I was obligated by law. It was interesting that the health dept nurse was more interested in my life style habits and once I indicated that I had pierced ears done years ago and she accepted that as point of transmission. Not the fact that I grew up in the 50’s, 60’s,70’s and 80’s and was exposed to every manner of blood letting through medical and dental surgery, inoculations, etc.


I knew that the Department of Health was grasping for reasons and justifying that it was something I did to myself. I had my ears pierced, therefore, that's where I picked up Hep C.

My self-diagnosis is that I am so bitter that I do not know where I acquired the virus or when along with the fact that most of medical community have their heads up their arses regarding Hep C.

I had no one to turn to, no one I could trust for support other than my immediate family. I was a lost soul. I can still be lost with Hep C because it’s such a lonely diagnosis. For survival in a small community I have chosen to keep it secret at this time.

4 comments:

My Other Blog said...

I hope you can lose the bitterness after you finish treatment and reach SVR. I was already depressed and in therapy for it, over my father's death, when I thought I'd do a good deed in 1998 and donate a pint of blood - which is how I found out I had HCV. The US Red Cross wrote me a letter about it and told me they were throwing my blood out & putting me on a 'do not donate blood' list. I don't know how long it took me to find out I had the actual disease, not just the antibody, but my doctor kept running liver function tests which said my liver was OK, so I kept putting off treatment for 8 years until the LFTs weren't so OK.
You are doing the right thing by treating this soon after you found out. I had it hanging over my head for all that time, always in the back of my mind. I also took myself off the bone marrow donor list, but didn't give a reason. I was on the transplant list since 1990. I must have just missed the HCV test by a year or so, or I would have found out when I gave a blood sample because a friend's cousin needed a transplant. Or maybe I was infected after that, from one of the surgeries I had in the mid-1990's?
We'll never know. I've (mostly) moved on from wondering how I got it. I hope you'll be able to do that as well.

Rose said...

This is a worry for me and you hit the nail on the head regarding the fact that I might bottom out when I finish treatment. I don’t want to be all twisted and bitter for the rest of my life about this and I know I’m considered “newly diagnosed” so ,doing the treatment immediately is part of my healing process. When I get through this “tour of duty” I have many goals set to do fun things and get myself well. I’ll accept that I did everything I could to clear the virus and deal with it. I’m getting there.

My Other Blog said...

How are you doing Rose - you haven't updated your blog in over a week? I hope you're OK.

lynzeey said...

Hi Rose
We are missing you! Hope you are ok? You're doing just great Rose, you're thinking positive for when you finish tx and that's good. Hope to hear from you soon. All the best, lynzeey xx