Sunday, January 4, 2009

Injection 69 This Evening

Well, my husband and I used up two of the kitty’s nine lives on Friday. We had a huge blizzard here in Atlantic Canada. The whole day was upsetting regarding our snow removal as the contractor the group hired to plough the neighbourhood dropped us on the day of a huge storm. That was a struggle to get someone to plough the main road and our driveway.

A repairman came to try and repair our fridge ( that is less than a year old ) and left around 4 p.m. Anyhow, he accidently switched on the gas stove while he was repairing the fridge and I thought it was rotten food from the freezer that had melted and warmed up on the drain pan. It’s a three step process to turn the burner on the stove. You have to press the button in hard, wait for the flint to “tick” and then wait for the gas to ignite. He pressed it in (probably with his side or butt) while dealing with the fridge and by passed the “tick” and the burner was left on putting out full on propane.

The defrosting switch is malfunctioning and he took the fridge apart and used a heating gun to defrost the fridge. I noticed a vague rotten food odour when I came upstairs as he was leaving. I was really perplexed with that because I thought I was a good housekeeper, but figured that he must have heated something up in the drip pan and it was stinking to high heaven. He had an old towel to catch the water that dripped out. I turned on the outtake fan above the kitchen stove to see if it would clear out. I also turned on the outtake air exchanger in the bathrooms to clear the stink out of the house. It could have saved my life.

I went downstairs after they guy left and my cat howled and yelled from upstairs and I kept speaking to her thinking that she was calling; now I’m not so sure. Asian cats tend to call for you with a howl to see if you are around. I was thinking it was odd that she was calling for me even though I answered her several times and that I should go upstairs and see what she’s into, but now I think she could smell it and was calling to me.

It was a comedy of errors and my husband who is usually home by 4:30 p.m. each day for the evening. He would have eventually figured it out. He came home to have his supper and race back out to do his job. However, when we had our supper I turned off the outtake fan and my husband determined that the odour was on the towel and we washed it. I smelled in the fridge and the freezer and determined that it wasn’t the inside of the fridge it had to be the work the repairman did and he set of something stinking in the defrost pan. I was confused to why it had such a rank odour. We micro waved supper and husband rushed out to finish his work for the day. It was just not a normal night. Husband is usually home. I went downstairs and I was down there on the computer and watching tele until husband came home at 8 p.m. I was still confused why the odour was so strong. I came upstairs and changed into my bleaching clothes as I was determined to try and scrub the area to see if I could get rid of the rotten food odour...even though I didn’t have the energy or strength to do it. My husband came in the door and started to open doors and windows and I checked the fridge again. At this time the fridge turned off and I could hear “sssssssssssssssssssssssss” I came around the stove and asked my husband if he put the kettle on and he said no. The burner was left on full for four hours. The house was full of propane. I had to get outside and we had to call the propane company. I know I should have gone to the out-patients and had oxygen, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to explain these meds to the local hospital.

I am so sick I cannot reason anything out in my brain on this treatment. I was in the propane for a full four hours with the propane full on. It was the power burst burner and it is set to run full out for high heat fast. I vented the odour out of the house out for the first hour thinking I was clearing the room from refrigerator stink. As I became more overtaken by the fumes what reasoning and logic I had left was nil.

I have smelled propane from industrial, bar b q, while I am cooking and it NEVER smelled like this before. We are super careful with the gas stove and we always check it to ensure it’s not on, but I was thinking refrigerator, NOT propane.

I always try to keep the fire going in the woodstove (located in the same room) and I’m always switching light switches off and on. For some reason I never went near the wood stove and it went out. My husband always checks it when he comes home and just by luck he didn’t but he was surprised I didn’t keep it going. I was so lethargic and stupid from nearly being poisoned along with tx I am amazed I didn’t drop. I was dizzy and confused, but I thought it was tx. The kitty was downstairs with me all the time as the gas was building upstairs and by 8 p.m it was through the whole house.

It was such a comedy of errors and I am very fortunate that my husband and I are still here. I’ll never doubt my little kitty when she flips out and acts weird again.

Injection 69 this evening in another half hour. Three left following this shot.



Anonymous said...

Good Lord, you are SO lucky there wasn't an explosion! It must have been a very unsettling experience,especially once you realized what had happened. Whew!
Stay safe and hang in there.
Sue B

lynzeey said...

OMG Rose, what a nightmare! Just what you don't need on tx..... cept I suppose you could call it a minor diversion from the usual aches and pains lol.
You take care PLEASE!
Love lynzeey x