Wednesday, August 20, 2008

49 - Melanoma


Kitty with heating pad






2004 was the year I turned 49 and it was one hell of a year. I went through a personal emotional crisis (not willing to discuss here) early in the year and at the same time I was diagnosed with melanoma on my right upper thigh by the summer. Both situations knocked me on my ass. I was no longer in control of my personal life and now the melanoma scared the crap out of me.

I noticed that the spot on my leg had started to change and when I visited my dermatologist in May of that year I had to insist that he remove it and check it. Well, I didn’t find out it was melanoma until August of that year because of our backed up health care system. Welcome to Canada!

They took a larger chunk out of my leg about the size of an egg and it came back all clear. I was very lucky and now I go to my dermatologist every six months for a complete skin check.


It set me back terribly being diagnosed with melanoma and now that this Hep C diagnosis has been handed to me I’m in the “frig it” mode. I’m never looking back after my treatment and I’m going to lather up with the sun screen and go swim in the ocean as much as possible for the rest of my life. I might go south and I cannot live the rest of my life afraid of the sun. I will be sensible, but not afraid.

I managed to get melanoma (I was not a sun worshipper and it’s not in my family) and hep C living my own little cloistered life in Smallville. It is time to say…”frig it”!

No comments: