Saturday, March 22, 2008

First Easter Memory & Shot 27


At 27 years of age I spent the year recovering from an emergency surgery and battling the sides of a steroid medication to combat endometriosis. I persevered and took the drug for the full 12 months scribed. The sides were not great, but I stayed with it. It wasn’t a life threatening illness and I was thankful that I didn’t have a worse prognosis other than endometriosis.

On a lighter note, this being Easter, I should write about my first childhood memory. I had to be very young (later 50’s) and we took a rare family trip to visit friends of my parents. These friends owned a store and I can remember being carried into the store in my Dad’s arms and he pointed out a huge chocolate Easter Bunny. I was in awe! I never forgot that huge chocolate Easter bunny and I wished for one of my own. I never asked for one until I was older and Mom managed to get me a hollow Easter chicken. Crap! I wanted the bunny that was nearly as huge as me. LOL Hey, I was lucky to get the chicken!

Well, shot 27 is done and the two worst sides are fatigue and now I am plagued with major itching. Layers and layers of different creams, cortisone (used sparingly), anti-itch creams and the occasional antihistamine are only giving me temporary relief. The hair thinning is bad, but it’s more psychological than a real problem. I use the Nioxin product for thinning hair, but as one forum member indicated when I first started visiting the forums…”It doesn’t matter what you do, what product you use, if the tx is going to make your hair fall out or thin drastically, it will happen. You cannot stop it.” She was right.

4 comments:

PATSY said...

Glad you are hanging in there Rose. Regarding the chocolate chicken: My daughter is 24 - she is like 99 lbs soaking wet and she worries about her figure. So - I decided not to get too much junk - she's old enough to not need the Easter Bunny. Well I almost peed my pants - sitting there all proud on the Walmart shelf was the most adorable chocolate easter chickens "with no sugar added - sweetened with ???". I got one for her and one for her bf - if I knew where to send it - I'd have sent you one too...

Rose said...

Bring on the real sugar! LOL

Anonymous said...

The itching is really nerve wracking, I have to agree.

Marsha

Terri said...

Rose
Just about the only way you'll get any relief from the itch at this stage is to sit in a cool bath and repeat over & over, I'm undetectable. I'm undetectable. I'm undetectable........... It won't help get rid of it, but it might make it more bearable!
Terri