Saturday, March 1, 2008

Shot 24

My Dad passed away with bowel cancer the year I turned 24. He walked me down the aisle at my wedding in May of ’78 and was gone by January ’79. I wasn’t close to him, but he was “somewhat” around when I was a child and growing up. My mom stayed with him until I (the baby of the family) graduated from high school. He wasn’t a warm fuzzy type of Dad. He was away working or road running more than he was home. However, it’s all I knew. I was used to it and accepted it. I loved him in my own way even though he created an emotional distance between himself and his children. Unfortunately, my bother inherited Dad’s standoffishness. However, at 24 years of age his death floored me.

I don’t even remember where he is buried and it’s somewhere in this shire. It has horrified people when I admit this to them.

“Old Man, look at my life, 24 and there’s so much more…” to quote Neil Young. I noticed that JB quoted Neil Young in a post “long may you run…” I managed to see Neil in concert years ago and, unfortunately, it was during his country music mistake. He did play his classics, however, the warm up group was The Judd’s. Naomi Judd is a great advocate for Hep C here in North America and I think back to that concert and now I know that many people sitting there were carriers of Hep C, but didn’t know it...me included.

I’m babbling today.

Consequently, if I am allowed to continue I shall be 1/3 through my treatment. I am waiting for a PCR test result and I expect it will take weeks to receive the results. My bloods took a drop this last month and I am waiting to hear how my HGB is doing. I know that my WBC is low as the nurse called and indicated that on Wednesday.

She thinks I’m “overdoing it” However, I figure my HGB is lower as I am getting mild headaches by the end of the week and yesterday’s headache was enough to take a couple of Tylenol throughout the day. I am dizzy and exhausted so I have been trying to rest. I cannot do much else, but I would force myself to do things and now I’m not. There are toilets to be scrubbed, sinks to be cleaned and I just cannot do it right now. I think I’ll hire someone.

I am going to try and get copies of my recent tests from my regular doc.

6 comments:

Me said...

It does sound like you need to rest. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so tired. I hope the nurse gets with you soon.

lynzeey said...

Hi Rose
I too have found that being on tx gives you plenty of time for reflection and I think its great that you are recording each shot against your age (not sure what you will do when you get to shot 70though!)
You have been very brave so far Rose, but you musn't overdo things. For your own sake be good to yourself. Get that cleaning lady in!
How lucky were you to have seen Neil Young, wowee!
Take care Rose, one third down, two thirds to go. You can do it.
Best wishes
Love Lynne x

Me said...

I hope you're feeling better! any updates?

Starbux said...

rose

i got to the point of cant cope with the toilet cleaning type stuff anymore. as long as there is food available (take out?) leave the family to sort it all out themselves. - i'm typing this from my bed, and its saturday lunchtime. got fed up of headache nausea and whinging 8 year old - so left it all to buzz (hubby)

PATSY said...

Rose, hope you have had a bit of rest this week. Thinking of you and sending you my best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,
Sounds like the adventure is well on the way to half - yippee for you! I have a few more weeks to go and I am now on rescue drugs (3 shots per week of that spicey little number) because my white blood cell count is now so low. Because the rescue drugs have something to do with stimulating the bone marrow to make more white blood cells - yup - more bone pain! Does it get anymore fun?

At some point when this is over I hope I remember it as not so bad. Just something I did, like a root canal.

The monster puppy is sllloooowwwwly coming around. But, most of the time it is a doggie nightmare. If there is a patch of mud - she walks in it.

You are not alone in your feelings. Remember, you are a warrior. That is the saying around this house. Especially when I ask hubby to do something for me. I sleep so much that I have movved my whole life into my bedroom. I have to make a choice - fix the food or eat the food. Seems like I can't get up the strength to do both. Take out from a vegetarian place is the only thing that keeps me going. My weight loss is fantastic! If nothing else, that makes me happy. Although with my thin hair if one more person remarks how good I look - I'll freak.

How is kitty?

Sometimes it is hard to remember that you are on a serious treatment - taking care of your needs is a priority. If you are tired, rest.

Take care,

Koop