Sunday, December 16, 2007

Job Offer...Worst Possible Time of My Career

I received a call last Wednesday and I am gob smacked. I have been offered three month term position by my employer. Head office wants to second me from my regular job to put me out in a management position. It’s a good one and it’s working at different work sites locally regarding auditing. It’s not heavy duty, but it can open some doors for me once I am feeling better if I get through tx . (or not!)

TX is my mission right now, however, this three month position will be beneficial to me upon retirement as I would possibly be able to “ease out” and work some, but not full time when the time arrives. My pension plan was very crappy and I will not have a good pension when I am required to retire.

It’s not a strenuous job, it’s a thinking job.

I won’t be able to hide as well as I could at my regular job.

I have no idea how my sides will change during the next three months. No one on treatment has this knowledge.

This opportunity has come up and I had been longing for a chance at this opportunity for years only to have it come up at the worst possible time of my career. It was never even an option for me as I was always “passed over” and someone else (the same person every time) was chosen. That person was not considered this time. I was shocked.

I asked them for an extension of the weekend to make up my mind. I know they are shocked that I hesitated as they figured I would jump at the position. The contributing factor is I am on long term chemotherapy and trying to hide the fact that I have this virus.

I have a very nasty tyrant for a co-worker and this might compound problems for my other colleagues in my current workplace if I take the position. (Knowing her it will be a problem)

I waffled for days over this and put things in order at work as if I am taking the short term job, however, I do wish it were a decision I didn’t have to make this year. The opportunity will not be offered again and they will move on very quickly to someone else if I refuse and that person will benefit.

Interesting what life hands you, isn’t it?

Someone told me a long time ago (my current boss) that “things happen for a reason”.

Shot 13 down Friday, December 14. That puts me into the 50’s left. 59 to be exact.

What a trip.

5 comments:

My Other Blog said...

Regarding work - I have found that if you act like you know what you're doing, people think you know what you're doing. It doesn't sound like you had a choice about taking this new job, management wanted you for it, and they picked you because they think you'll succeed at it. Since they seem to be thinking positive things about you right now, just show up and smile and everything will be fine, as long as there's not a big report due at the end of the 3 months - but if there is, you can probably handle that too!

Rose said...

Great advice, Madame.

Fake it until you make it, eh?

It came out off no where and came at me like a Mack truck. I'm so impressed that they asked and so pissed that it had to be now.

Terry Lee said...

It's a good thing any way you look at it.

Starwtich said...

Of course you can link my blog to yours : )

Anonymous said...

People should read this.