Sunday, December 23, 2007

Preparing for Christmas

I managed to get the gifts purchased and wrapped the last several weeks with some help from my husband. Saturday was a day of gift wrapping and I do appreciate those bags that you can dump the gift into instead of the cutting and taping of the rolls of wrapping paper. Just figuring out how to cut it and wrap it…along with what tag and ribbon to use just boggled my mind. It seemed too complicated. LOL My husband has told me that my brain fog has just brought me down to the level of everyone else. He’s a laugh a minute!

My Christmas doesn’t usually have my usual finesse and I am disappointed that none of the extra touches are done. I don’t have the energy to do it all and it will be the first Christmas in 20 years that I won’t have my Christmas table set with my Christmas dishes. It will be a 10% Christmas on my scale of 100%.

I didn’t entertain, bake, decorate extensively or purchase the perfect little gifts for my boys and my family. I couldn’t go anywhere to be entertained and had to give up many social invitations pretending that I was already booked with another event to attend. I don’t want to get into discussions with very prying friends why I am not having my social glass of wine. It’s daunting to know that this will be my life for the next year and a half. I can only say that I tried the treatment and it’s not too big of a price to pay if this is all I have to lament.

My whole world evolves around injecting that needle on Friday night…getting those two pills into me at an early dinner so that I am not suffering from wired sides at night. No one I know entertains dinner at 5 p.m. Also, where I have to take the pills in the middle of the meal with yoghurt it certainly puts a damper on having a meal in public and raising a few eyebrows. I can go without the yoghurt if it’s a big enough meal, however, I have to stop my meal, reach into my purse and eat the pills. I could get up in the middle of the meal and go take them in the washroom, I guess. I’ll eventually get around that I suppose. However, talk about bringing unwanted attention and questions to the ritual that I don’t want to discuss.

On a much brighter note other than feeling sorry for myself…lol… I had very good blood tests results from last week and the nurse practitioner is hopeful that being this far into the treatment my bloods should stay the same. I can only hope that they will.

NP is concerned that my blood sugar is low and is questioning whether I am eating enough. Yup! I have no room for any more food. I never go hungry and I am eating well balanced healthy meals. I always had a little trouble with low blood sugar and didn’t think it was an issue. It seems to be showing up in this treatment. She told me to eat copious amounts of junk to get the blood sugar up and I was never a huge junk eater…except fresh plain salted chips. (crisps for all you UK’ers) My nemesis has always been chips.

Shot 14 down on Friday night. Saturday was a good day. This morning I am feeling a bit off. I usually do feel flu-like in the mornings and improve throughout the day. Ironically, one would think that I’d be better in the mornings after a night’s sleep. Nope! Of course, by the evening I have increased fatigue.

4 comments:

My Other Blog said...

You'll master the art of inconspicuous pill taking as you progress. I'm wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

msb said...

All I did was cards this year. They are pretty cards. Merry Christmas my friend.

Rose said...

I love pretty cards. I am so glad that they brought back those craft type cards. I love to look at them as they remind me of the old fashioned ones from the 1800 & early 1900's.

Valentine cards used to be so beautiful. Now they are so bland and commercial. I hope they make them fancy, again.

pixie said...

Merry Christmas Rose.....Your`ll find you will enjoy this Christmas just as much without the trimmings..Its all about being together as a family...

Your`ll get thru this tx I know you will...PXX