Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Christmas Dinner Spaz

I did as little as I could get away with throughout Christmas Eve and Christmas day, but it was more than my usual “slug state”.

I am licked!

I did a riba rant, shamefully, over my good flatware after everyone left following Christmas dinner. I did the same thing after Thanksgiving dinner and, ironically, following Thanksgiving dinner I vowed not to put any of my good dishes or flatware out until I was finished tx and thinking more logically. However, I had an extra guest for Christmas dinner who turned up at the last minute and I made the decision to put out my good flatware as my regular stuff is not the best. Being the only female in a house full of men I have to watch my good dishes and, of course, my elderly Mom causes me “grievous agony” with my good dishes and flatware at the best of times when I wasn’t on tx.

I look after it and I hand wash myself so that it remains the same year after year after it is used. When I had my wits about me prior to tx I could monitor that none of it went into the dishwasher or managed to get mixed into with the regular everyday flatware. I went days after Thanksgiving dinner looking for a fork that was missing. I ranted for days about it. It finally turned up and NO One would admit to the deed. (No wonder! LOL)

Well, the same thing happened following Christmas dinner only they put my good stuff in the dishwasher and, eventually, three knives and two forks were among the missing. I couldn’t find them for the life of me and after searching and searching obsessively for them I absolutely lost the plot. I know what I was doing was abnormal. LOL

Good thing it was only my poor husband who witnessed it. I was furious and I knew that I cannot put this stuff out anymore no matter what while I’m on treatment.

I need to get a life! LOL

Christmas dinner for 12 people (same as feeding 18 of a normal family...lol...big eaters) put me into a tailspin and I couldn’t find anything as things were not put back in their proper place. I couldn’t get near my kitchen to do my stuff as it was full of other people running the show. I was disorganized, totally unprepared and didn’t have the energy to do it. I usually have these huge dinners down to a fine art. Planned to the minute. Not this year!

I can only hope that I am still on this tx this time next year. Odd thing to wish for, however, it will mean that I made it past the 48 weeks and I’m into the extra 24 and only a month left that I have to treat to try and clear this virus. However, there is no one else that can take on Christmas dinner. It was always my responsibility and my Mom is 80 and my sister is crippled up with obesity so I am the only one to do it.

I made it through this one.

I’m not so sure I shall be able to make it through another one.

6 comments:

My Other Blog said...

WOW, 12 people for Christmas dinner, this has to be some kind of record for a person on interferon. And you didn't stab anyone with one of the knives - great job!!! Next year: they make plastic flatware that looks almost like silverware, if you can't find it, I'll send you some. (Other than that, I feel the same about my mother's china that I inherited as you feel about your flatware, so I know where you're coming from about that!) Perhaps you & your husband could go away next Christmas - take a cruise or something, or go someplace else that's warm. I hope you're still on treatment next Christmas, too (and I never thought I'd wish that on anyone), as that will give you your best chance of SVR. Happy 2008 to you.

Terry Lee said...

The holidays are a major challenge for those of us on interferon. I'm glad it's over, it's just so tiring. Are you already diagnosed as doing 72 weeks or is it still up in the air? I just took my 34th shot and it's been too many months already. I hope my tx works because I ain't going to do this again. Hang in there dear friend, we can do this!

Terri said...

Rose
I cordially invite you and your family to my sisters house for Xmas dinner next year. There's so many of us they won't notice an extra 6-8 people. Good flatware and fine china will be used but it will be my sisters headache if it doesn't end up in the right spot afterwards. She's used to it.
Terri

Terri said...

Rose
I cordially invite you and your family to my sisters house for Xmas dinner next year. There's so many of us they won't notice an extra 6-8 people. Good flatware and fine china will be used but it will be my sisters headache if it doesn't end up in the right spot afterwards. She's used to it.
Terri

someone said...

Really Rose ! 12 people for dinner you are a hungry bunch and using the best flatware, walk on the wild side why don't you.......
We're haveing 9 people here today and we have got out the best paper plates and plastic forks we can muster........ it's a buffet affair......
Maybe set a challenge for next time, with a bring your own flat ware dinner.... each person must bring their best and if they have none they either go out and buy a plate, knife and fork or else they go hungry...Happier New Year to you and yours... regards jb x

Rose said...

I have the 72 week "tour of duty", Terry Lee.

I love the paper plate/plastic flatware option.

LOL