Sunday, August 19, 2007

Middle of August

I am very discouraged these days as I was sure that the NP would call me as soon as she received my fax last Monday, August 13, with the medical provider’s approval for treatment. I attached a note asking “ NP, How close are we to treatment?” I expect she couldn’t deal with me last week and I was hopeful to hear from her by Wednesday to set up a needle for Friday.

She indicated in the phone call in July that she would call me the third week in August and aim for the end of August for treatment. Last week, according to my calculation, was the middle of August. She told me during the July phone call “Don’t call me I will contact you.” (Yeah, Sure!) Of course, she didn’t contact me and I was hoping to get my first shot August 17. That just jumps it ahead more at the end and I want to get this show on the road to see if I can do this.

Now I am back to work tomorrow following vacation and I won’t be available for NP’s call. Will she call me at work? I can’t discuss this in depth at work. This just added more stress as I had planned not to return to work after vacation so no one would see me look “ok” on a Friday and then have to call in sick the whole next week while I see how I react to the meds. I’ll be taking a major flu that weekend and won’t have the legs under me the next week.

NP said she wants me to take a month off work. I would have liked to have started the treatment during vacation to see how I rally with it. It didn’t work out.

I have to believe that sometimes things happen for the best. I have to believe that when I start it will be the best time for me to start.

It’s a horrible ominous feeling knowing that I will be getting a needle (plus pills) that will make my first night a living hell.

2 comments:

Not Blank said...

Relax!!!
1. I started treatment with only slightly elevated AST and ALT #s and cleared the virus in 8 weeks. I could possibly have cleared it in 4, but I didn't have the test until the 8th week.
2. Your first month on treatment may not necesarily be the hardest, I don't know why your NP wants you to take a month off, I worked part-time during my first month. Are you going to be on Pegasys or Peg-Intron? The Peg-Intron (Redi-pen) side effects are more predictable - most people feel it hit them the day they do their first injection; Pegasys was very random. Towards the end of treatment, injection day became the best day of the week, and I was doing my injections earlier and earlier in the day.
You're about as stressed out as I was last year, have you discussed anti-depressants with your NP? I SHOULD have taken them, but resisted like a fool. Feel free to PM me on the forum any time. The waiting sucks, but it will all work out, soon.
MYS/uc

Rose said...

I'll PM you on the forum,uc.
Rose